Tuesday, September 25, 2007

MY SON ~ MY HERO

This is something I wrote a few years ago. This amazing kid is now 15 years old. His number of surgeries have almost tripled since I wrote this, and my perspective of him hasn't changed a bit.
I hope you enjoy reading this and it gives you a small glimpse into our lives.
Blessings,
Kathi

I am always sitting here wanting to write. I always seem to have plenty to say, however when it comes to writing, I draw a blank. Tomorrow my son goes in for yet another surgery. I know that he is luckier than some, but it still doesn't seem fair that he should number more in surgeries than he does in age. He is such a happy, easy going, easy to get along with kid that you would not know that he has endured what he has. He will be nine this June. Wow, where have the years gone? He was born with Myelomeningocele, otherwise known as Spina Bifida. He was also born with Hydrocephalus. I am not going to go into all of the details of what that all means. (Maybe that will be the next publication.) I will list all of his surgeries to date:At 1 day old - They repaired his back.At 2 weeks old - They placed a VP Shunt.At 2 months old - They did a shunt revision.At 2 ½ months old - They did another shunt revision.At 18 months old - They did a Tendon Release - both feet.At 6 years old - They did a Hip Osteotomy and Tendon Reversal on both feet.At 8 years old - They did a Tethered Cord Release (on his back).1 week later, they did 2 shunt revisions back to back.That brings us up to number 10. Tomorrow they are taking the plate and screws out of his hip that they put in 2 years ago. Is he scared? Yes he is! Who wouldn’t be? In my opinion, he has gone through more than any kid should have to. I have four kids altogether and they are all great! In my honest opinion, I think God chose him because He knew that this son would have the personality to handle anything thrown his way. My other kids, as great as they are, would not be able to handle what he goes through.He accepts the fact that he is different. He goes with the flow. He has such a charming personality and happy disposition that people notice right away when he isn’t himself. Everyone that meets him tells me how fantastic he is. As his Mom, I know this. As his Mom, I also lose sight of this. He is a typical kid. He balks when I tell him to do his chores. He makes excuses for not getting ready when asked. He begs to play one more computer game. In between surgeries, he is just another kid. When he has to have a surgery ~ HE IS MY HERO! He is brave, he is strong, he is courageous, he is MY SON!

No comments: