Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I wrote this in 2005. It still applies today. Although our life isn't typical ~ I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Blessings,
Kathi

Good evening. My oldest son was born with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. That was 13 years ago! Wow! Honestly, they told me right away that I could always have an abortion. Here I was in shock and they were saying that to me. This is right after they gave me the worst prognosis possible. I wonder how many women are overwhelmed and actually do it. I was more sickend at the thought of doing something like that to the child I felt moving inside of me than I was at the possibility of a handicapped child. They basically told me that he would be mentally challenged and pretty much a 'vegetable' (for lack of a better word - I don't mean to offend). They said he would be stuck in a wheelchair forever and never amount to anything. I will tell you that he has turned out to be an awesome kid who has inspired many people. He has done almost everything they said he never would. I think about all of the things I would have missed out on had I made that horrible decision. Of course I wouldn't have to deal with surgeries, stress, fear, worry, inconviences, disruptions, accomodations, etc. But I also wouldn't have to deal with seeing a son walk that they said never would, see him learn to read and do math when they said he never would, holding that precious baby in my arms, raising awareness in others, seeing him inspire others and much, much, much more! Thanks and God Bless,
Kathi

No comments: